Monday, August 30, 2010

A few days ago Lance went to get his drivers license...he then found out that he was missing a legal paper. When he returned with the paper yesterday, he then found out that he needed an Emirates ID card first (this was a newly implemented rule)...he then drove to Mussafah (30+ minutes) to get his ID card, but first he needed yet another legalized document in Arabic. He had to go to a certain typing center to get the form and return to the ID department. There were 200 people in this room waiting to get their ID cards, no exaduration. And that was only the men's side. Everyone had to take a number and wait until they called for them. Lance managed to talk an Emirate man working the desk to push him through to the front of the line. I hope none of those Pakistanis realized that had been waiting all day. He then got his ID card and returned to get his Drivers license. All that in one day. That is basically how everything works around here. A million steps to get one thing done. How exhausting!

Today I ran my typical errands. Grocery store, etc. I dropped Evelyn at school and Camille and I headed to Carrefour. Right off the bat Camille spilled an entire container of toothpicks all over the floor....later she spilled an entire baggy of pretzels on the floor. Then as I was putting all of the groceries on the counter, she was throwing candy bars on the floor. And that is just the cliff notes version of my grocery shopping trip this morning. Times like these, I just have to laugh to keep from crying. She wore me out at the grocery store. To make matters worse they do not have seat belts on the buggies or they call them carts, so she is constantly trying to stand up in the seat. I think I am going to have to get one of those seat covers that has a seat belt built in.

Dad, I thought of you today and tried to take a picture, but I was driving. After school, the girls and I went to our house to bring a few things and on the way we saw a milk truck. Not a cow's milk truck, but Camel milk. I haven't seen it in the stores, but I am not exactly looking for it. I can not imaging it to be true. I wished I got a picture, you would have got a kick out of that.

Lance traveled to the furtherest tip of the UAE today on business with a coworker. He sent me picture and may have sent one to a few of you. They got stopped on the road by a heard or camels crossing to go to a dumpster. I guess they were eating something there. Too funny.

Lance's co-worker's (Chris) wife and their daughter came to visit us this afternoon. We met them when we came in March. Chris is the one who has been working the position Lance is taking, so Julie, his wife, knows exactly what we are going through right now. They actually stayed at this same hotel when they moved here for temporary housing. She is very lovely as she would say, she is from Scotland and their two children are adorable. She was so kind and they brought some toys for the girls to borrow. We had a nice visit and I feel like I could call her for advice if I needed.

I am so excitted to hear that so many of our friends and family are reading this blog. It makes us so happy to know that you are keeping up with our ongoing daily adaptation to the UAE.

3 comments:

  1. Nancy - I so enjoy reading all about your adventures, it sounds like lots of work and lots of fun. Thanks so much for writing this. I am glad you are all doing well. Please give my best to the girls, Lance and the furry one's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy I've been reading every day. Every night I get on the computer to check my email and your blog. I get so excited when there's an update.

    I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be, but as soon as you're in the house, I know you'll have it set up so perfect and be in a routine before you know it. You're so proficient and great at handling challenges, your personality it perfect for keeping something this involving in good order.

    I can't believe and how quickly Camille is becoming her own little person. She seems to be changing so much so fast. I'm so glad Evelyn likes her school. She seems to be taking to it like a fish to water. I knew she would though.

    Give our best to Lance and the girls! We love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete