Monday, August 23, 2010

Lance is now an official Resident of the UAE. Yeah, we got it. Now the girls and I have to apply for ours. With Lance's visa we can now start setting up shop: bank accounts, telephone, internet, driver's license, etc. We go it just in time for our shipment to arrive as well. Our 40 foot container that has been traveling by sea since mid July arrived at port today. It will take another week to clear the port and customs, we should receive it sometime next week...not holding my breath. Without Lance's visa, we would be required to pay duty on all of our belongings. Yikes, that could have been bad.

I spent the majority of the day at our villa yesterday. I continued to clean, wiping down everything ceiling to floor. I also had the maintenance guy help with getting the dishwasher and washing machine hooked up. The gas guy came to deliver our gas tanks. That is right, we do not have centralized gas supply yet. We are told at some point we will, but for now we have to have tanks outside of our home to supply gas for cooking. The tank lives in a cabinet (with a lock of course) outside of the kitchen. Naturally, the cabinet was not installed correctly and is too low. The gas line can not reach the tank. Lance and the gas guy rigged up something to make it work for now, but tomorrow I am going to tackle that problem and try to get it fixed being that it is a fire hazard and all. We also met the next door neighbors. They are from South Africa. Very lovely family with two girls ages 11 and 7. Evelyn was sooooo excited to see girls living next door. There is a family (with two small girls) two doors down from Norway, Lance met them, but I have not yet. We were also told that a American family moved in around the corner, but not met them yet.

Our next door neighbor told me about all of the kids and activities at our compound. That is why they moved there. She said there are a lot of families at the pool in the evenings and there are going to be swimming lessons and dance lessons right there in our club house. I am so excited about that. The girls and I could ride our bikes to the pool or dance. That is going to be so great.

We have enjoyed living in our apartment in the city, but it is taking it's toll. The parking garage as I have mentioned before is so difficult. I am so glad that we have a garage at our villa that is easy to get into. Also, carrying groceries to the apartment from the garage is difficult in itself. It will be nice when the dogs can have their own space in the back yard as well. Walking them everyday several times a day can be difficult at times, esp if you have things to do. I can see ourselves still bringing them for walks in our villa because they will need the exercise. We sure are glad they are here with us...they are part of our family. I will miss the convenience of living right here on the island, but the drive isn't as bad as I thought it would be. One thing we will all miss about our apartment is the view. It is so beautiful, esp when a huge yacht pulles in.

Today is Dad's birthday. I hope you have a great birthday dad. We love you and have been thinking of you all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment