Thursday, October 21, 2010

Sorry it has been so long since I wrote. After Melinda and Dennis left, Lance left the next day. So it has been just the girls and I all week, may I say no more. When there is only one set of hands around the house, I have to run a tight ship. That means that I am exhausted by the end of the day and instead of staying up to write on the blog, I am sleeping in my bed.

This week has been a typical week altogether. Thanks to Melinda and Dennis helping out around the house, I feel settled now. I have been just catching up on emails, bills, and expense reports this week. Mostly paperwork, but it feels so good to have it done. I have also continued to prepare for the Fall Festival next week. I am working on some signs for the booth.

Mom told me that my nephew fell the other day at the pumpkin patch and busted his bottom lip. Well his cousin, Camille, fell yesterday at the grocery store and busted her upper lip. They have matching swollen lips I am sure. She was walking and holding her purse when her shoes made her stumble. She would have been able to catch herself but she had her purse in her hand. Needless to say she landed on her face. Oh yes blood was dripping down her chin, it was a scene. Thank goodness to my bad of tricks, I had everything we needed to quickly treat the patient at the scene. She was fine within minutes and back to herself with a swollen lip.

I have been very pleased as far as how easy it is to meet people here. Almost easier than it was in Katy. Today I had coffee and croissants with my friend Violet. She is originally from Canada and her husband is from Egypt. They both moved here from upstate New York. They have three children and the middle child is in Evelyn's class. She is an interesting person, she is an art consultant. Next week's social calendar is already filling up. Sunday-coffee with friends, Monday-furniture delivered, Tuesday-so far free, but I have some plans brewing with my friend Kim, Wednesday-built life sized scarecrow with Evelyn's class, Thursday-Fall Festival at school.

I am very thankful for my housekeeper, Anna. She is a hard worker and honest. After she cleaned today, Evelyn invited her to eat with us on the back patio. She excepted and educated me on her way of life in the Philippines. She has a daughter that is still there as well as her husband that she is supporting from work here. Her daughter lives with her mother, and her daughter has a left sided weakness. Last week she received word that her daughter got the Flu and was in the hospital. She was tearing up telling me about it. I feel so sorry for her. She is so helpful to us. After dinner she left and the girls and I went for a walk. On our walk we found some cut down palm branches in front of a villa that I thought I could use for by booth at the Fall Festival next week. I am going to tie them to the pole to make them look like corn fields. Our booth is going to be like a pumpkin patch and we are making a live scare crow. Anyways, after I spoke with the owner of the house if we could have them, Anna was walking near by, she helped us bring all of them back to our house. I never asked her to do that and it was her time off. That was very nice of her. Oh back to her way of life in the Philippines....she built a house next to her parents when she got married, the walls were made out of bamboo and the roof out of leaves. Can you imagine? And here she is in Abu Dhabi, working so hard to support not only her daughter, but her siblings and parents as well.

The weather is getting pleasent outside. The humidity is still high, but there is a nice breeze. It is still warm enough to swim and I think we are going to check out the beach this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment