Thursday, February 10, 2011

Coffee and Cats

It has been a tough week without Lance, but the girls and I were so glad he came home last night. Now I have to gear up for his 10 day trip later this month. It is so funny how smooth things run here without him I must say. I think because it is all me, I really stay on top of the schedule. You would be so shocked to know that I have been experiencing internet problems this week as well. What is new? Oh and I should mention that I have a light not working down stairs. But that is part of living here, continuous maintenance. I think I have the extreme circumstances though.

Today I was invited to coffee and brunch to my next door neighbors house. She is a local woman and is the person responsible for making my experience here in Abu Dhabi so wonderful. She is one of the kindest people I know. She has been so generous to us, sending food or arabic coffee over. So the last time I went to her house I was one of two American women there with I think 6 Emirati women. Today, she invited some of the women from our street that I associate with the most. One is a women from South Africa and the other Dutch who is married to an American. So it was like a local woman inviting a crowd of Westerners over for brunch. She also invited her close friend who is American as well and married to an Emirate man. This American woman has lived here for 25 years. We had a wonderful time and learned so much about her culture, from cooking to what to wear to a wedding. We had a great time. Next week she is bringing us to a salon to "make henna" this is a temporay tatooing that local women will do to their hands and sometimes feet esp for special occasions. Too cool. She may also host a cooking class to teach us how to make some traditional dishes. YEah!!!! The best part about our day was the realization that we are all different, but very much the same. We all do the same things and worry about the same things. I really can not put into words what it is like to really see the world for what it is. And to really see people for what they are on the inside regardless of nationality or religion. Truely, we are all the same!! This experience has been so amazing.

This morning when I got home from bring Evelyn to school a familiar black and white cat was in my garage. I have seen this cat around often and it is really friendly. Well the cat followed Camille and I right into the house. We pet it a while and made it go outside so we could let the dogs out of the kitchen. When I went back to see if the cat left, there it was sitting on my doorstep. So I openned the door and put the baby gate up so the dogs couldn't get it and maybe they could see and get used to one another. Well that wasn't enought for "Kitty" and he/she jumped the gate and helped herself in regardless of the dogs barking at her. She checked out every room in our house as if she was looking for a place to stay. I think she could have taken a nap if Fraizer would have left her alone, Ruffles was too scared to get close. After about an hour I began to wonder if the cat belonged to someone or if the cat needed to use the bathroom. So I guided it out the door and we haven't seen it since. Maybe Kitty will come back tomorrow.

This week I started something new, I put Camille in Evelyn's bed and read bedtime stories to them together. Camille thinks she is soo big. She just squeels with delight to be in the big bed with Evelyn. After we read, then the girls tell each other goodnight and Camille goes to her bed and I tuck Evelyn into her bed. So Sweet.

Tonight we went out to eat for supper. During supper we were discussing moving back to Katy. Anytime Lance begins this discussion, and is around Evelyn, I try to include her and ask her opinion. We don't really know what lies ahead for us. Heck, if you asked me 1 1/2 years ago if I would be living in Abu Dhabi, I would have said "were is that" But we do hypothesis about the future and make it a family discussion. I think Lance is trying to feel me out to see what I would be willing to do. I tell him, I just got here and just got "settled" in. Well, I am getting off of the story. So we are including Evelyn in this discussion and I say "Evelyn, what do you think, do you want to move back to Katy?" and she replies "No, I want to see the world" It completely supprised Lance and I and even took our breaths away. She said it in such a mature way. It even brought a tear to my eye. What bravery.. Just another one of those moments that I can not put into words.."No, I want to see the world"

1 comment:

  1. Just caught up with the blog. Love Evelyn's comment. How cute. It is great that you are getting moving. I wish this was on my radar over here, but not yet. Hope you can stick with it!

    ReplyDelete