Sunday, September 26, 2010

We had a great weekend.

First, I have to comment on my rampage about Evelyn's teacher. I hoped to meet with her last thursday, but she was not able, so I met her today after school. We talked for about 1 1/2 hours. I now feel like I have a better understanding of what is going on in the classroom and how it is effecting Evelyn. Her teacher is trying to get Evelyn to be self motivated to learn new things. Evelyn will do the work, but she rushes through it so she can move on to the next thing like playing. But once Evelyn sees everyone elses work displayed and how well they did, Evelyn will want her's to be the same. Her teacher commented that Evelyn has improved since the first of the year and she could tell that we were working with her on the issues that arrise. I am still sceptical on the teaching style, but after speaking with her I think it could be really beneficial in Evelyn's case. As far as my thoughts on moving Evelyn to another class, I don't think it would be the best choice. This would only hurt Evelyn in the progress that she has made. It would be like starting all over again. Plus, what kind of message am i sending Evelyn when I move her to a teacher i like better. I think the best course of action is to keep a tight knit with the teacher and what is going on in the class. And try to work on things with Evelyn at home as well that I think need more attention. Next week, while Melinda and Dennnis are here, I am going to sit in one morning to observe the class while Emme and PaPa D watch Camille.

Now Lance and I could honestly say we had more social events this weekend than what we would have in a month at home......Thursday night we went to Dubai to a Nalco party. The girls stayed in Dubai with another Nalco family's two girls and two baby sitters. They did OK, Poopsy cried a bit which just kills me. The party was great, everyone there has just moved here in less than a year. Most of them more like this summer. They all live in Dubai, we are the only Nalco family in Abu Dhabi. And I must say, compared to the other wives, I am doing way better than they are. I don't know if they didn't have enough time to process everything, but they all look like they are in shock. It must be the roads in Dubai. I find it confusing to drive there, esp compaired to Abu Dhabi.
Friday was a quiet day at home and working on hanging picture, etc. Friday night, we had a housewarming party three doors down. Anna, our housekeeper, kept the girls. I put Camille to bed before we left and Evelyn and Anna watched movies. The girls did great. The party was fun as well. The couple is from Norway and most of their friends were as well. We met some really interesting people and had a great time. They were really great hosts and have done a lovely job setting up their house.

Saturday we were back off to Dubai to do some shopping. We didn't get to all of the places we wanted but did make some headway. The malls are so crowded on the weekend. It gets crazy.

Today I had my appoitment with a GP for my stomach. She was really really good. she doesn't think it is my gallbladder. Thank you God. She thinks I have some kind of stomach bug. She is going to run some tests just to make sure....bloodwork and ultrasound. She also put me on a bland diet and gave me a prescription for something like pepto.

I think of things often that I want to tell you about that are different and interesting here in Abu Dhabi. So I thought at the end of each blog I would put a few lines of Different Things In Abu Dhabi. The thoughts for today: did you know that the speed limit etc is not in miles/hour, but KM/Hour. The speed limit on the main highway between Abu Dhabi and Dubai is 100 KM/HR, which is about 70 miles per hour. Things are measured differently here, like instead of inches and feet they use cm and meters. So instead of a rug being a 5 X 7 it is 150cm X 240cm I think. The fruit, veggies, and meat are measured in Kilograms in the grocery store, so if I want to buy a pound of meat it would be 2.2 KG or I just say 2 kilos.

No comments:

Post a Comment